On December 12, 2019, Washington state senate Democrats and others, including Governor Inslee and AG Ferguson proposed three bills, constituting a new “assault weapons” ban, a standard capacity magazine ban, and restrictions on ammunition sales. They claim that all of these bans are for safety purposes, though no previous such bans in any country have been shown to increase safety.
…Senator Patty Kuderer and Rep. Strom Petersen, both Democrats, will sponsor companion bills in the House and Senate proposing the assault weapons ban.
Assault weapons would be defined as semi-automatic weapons that contain at least one military-style feature, similar to other states with those laws that have survived court challenges…
The proposed ammunition legislation will include:
• Prohibits violent felons and other individuals who cannot lawfully obtain firearms from purchasing or possessing ammunition
• Makes it illegal for firearms dealers to knowingly sell ammunition to violent felons and other individuals prohibited from owning firearms
• Prohibits dealers from knowingly selling ammunition to violent offenders and other individuals prohibited from owning firearms
• Requires ammunition sellers to obtain a state firearms license, which costs $125. This change will not impact current firearms dealers
• Requires background checks for all ammunition sales 30 days after the U.S. Department of Justice changes its rules and authorizes dealers to use the national instant criminal background check system, known as NICS, to initiate a check for a transfer of ammunition
Ferguson is also proposing new requirements for ammunition sales, including background checks.
Liberty Park Press: Fury Over Gun Control Proposals by WA Attorney General