The Northwest Blacksmith Association annual conference will be held May 11-13, 2018 in Longview, WA.
Planning for the conference is well underway. Info about our demonstrators will be posted as soon as they are available. Below is a brief outline of what to expect for 2018… and even more will be added as the plans are confirmed.
Set up day Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Demonstrators:Main Event Local Demonstrator: Scott Szloch. See more about Scott at: http://szlochironworks.com
Main Event From Afar: Rachel David of New Orleans, See more about Rachel at: http://redmetal.net
- Hands-On Classes:
Alair Wells: Beginner- Tooling up
Bill Apple:Intermediate- Getting the most out of your top tools.
Ben Czyhold: Advanced Class – developing forms from a piece of flat bar – i.e. making three dimensions from 2 dimensions
- Repoussé Station
- Gallery: bring your works to display in our gallery, show off your latest.
- Auction: support the NWBA with an entry into the auction, something hand-made, materials, tools or services. Anything of value that can be sold at our auction.
- Black Smoke Alley: bring your solid fuel forge and set up in Black Smoke Alley to demonstrate and offer hands on experiences, or just enjoy forging at your own setup during the conference.
- Tailgate Sales: fill your pickup with tools and materials, sell them to your friends, and buy enough of someone else’s stuff to fill the truck back up.
- Contests with prizes: Friday night Solo Blacksmith Challenge ‘Twist Off’, Saturday night Group Blacksmith Challenge ‘Ring Toss’ (2-3 smiths)
- Potluck Social: large grill will be available to cook your barbecue meats, bring food to share. It is a potluck and the NWBA will be providing the grill and the picnic spot and some food. Last year there was confusion about this, and even though a lot of people did not bring food, there was a lot to eat and people had a really good time hanging out and sharing a meal together. Plan on being there!
- Banquet and Dessert Dash!
Camping for tents and r.v.s are available for $15 a night plus tax= $16.21, this is PER TENT or RV, not per person.
The past few years the NWBA has subsidized the camping, paying the bill for our group’s camping and paying more for the camping than we charged. The fees went up yet again this year. The fees we are charging just covers our costs.
VOLUNTEER and GET A DISCOUNT: Conference volunteers needed for our registration desk and to oversee midnight madness in our Mentoring Center. Volunteer to take a 3 hour shift and get $45 off your conference registration!! Go to the volunteer sign up page.
Hotel Info: Use your favorite search engine (Google, Bing, etc etc) to find hotel info for your conference visit: “Longview, WA Hotels”
Hotel Discount: The Best Western Aladdin will give NWBA members a discount on rooms, $95 a room.
You must book by April 27th and mention the NWBA. After the 27th rooms will be normal price.