The people over at The Prepared have written a lengthy piece entitled Best Two-Week Emergency Survival Food for Preppers in which they have compared emergency/storage foods from seven different vendors in order to determine the best option. Sixteen testers with various levels of cooking skills prepared and ate the foods in their homes. The food was rated based on taste, variety, cost effectiveness, calories and satiability, ease of use, storage and transport, completeness and a few other criteria.
After reviewing over 20 different possible off-the-shelf options found on survival websites and traditional stores like Amazon and Costco, we settled on testing options from these 7 companies in person:
- Augason Farms * 1-week 1-person + 2-week, 1-person
- Legacy Foods 120-serving Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Bucket
- Mountain House 14-Day Just-in-Case Emergency Food Supply Combo
- My Patriot Supply 4-Week Food Supply & Fruit, Veggie & Snack Mix
- Ready Store EasyPrep Ultimate 1-month Food Storage Kit
- Wise Foods Emergency Freeze Dried Breakfast and Entree Bucket
- Emergency Essentials Survival, Economy, Basic, Deluxe, Premier Buckets
We also tested these shakes and supplements to round out the nutritional gaps in the main buckets:
- Soylent Meal Replacement Drinks
- Tsogo Protein Shakes
- Wise Foods Emergency Meal Replacement Shakes
- Simpli Prepare Shakes
- Simpli Prepare Soups
We did not choose some otherwise popular products because they didn’t meet our criteria. For example, some companies sell a range of individual packets that you mix and match. Those didn’t qualify because we were looking for a simple one- or two-click purchase to get you what you need.